[R] igraph plot slowness

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 3 09:21:02 CEST 2015

Hi,

With the following data

ibcore01	ibswitch01
ibcore01	ibswitch02
ibcore01	ibswitch03
ibcore02	ibswitch01
ibcore02	ibswitch02
ibcore02	ibswitch03
ibswitch01	node001
ibswitch01	node002
ibswitch01	node003
ibswitch02	node004
ibswitch02	node005
ibswitch02	node006
ibswitch03	node007
ibswitch03	node008
ibswitch03	node009

in the file "topology.txt"

and the following code:

library("igraph")
topo_data <- read.csv(file="topology.txt",head=FALSE,sep="\t")
network_data <-graph.data.frame(topo_data, directed=F)
plot(network_data)

it takes about 5 seconds for the plot to be drawn with R 3.2.0 on a
12-core 2.67 GHz Xeon X5650 server with no other CPU-intensive processes
running.

This strikes me as rather slow, particularly as my full network has over
120 components and the plot takes around 50 seconds.

Am I doing anything wrong?

(I am working over an ssh connection with X forwarding, but plotting to
a PDF file on the server does not seem to be faster.)

Cheers,

Loris