[R] Downloading xls with active batons

Peter Maclean pmaclean2011 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 4 07:57:17 CEST 2015

I am trying to download data from here:
www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_109.htm
I have tried using some packages (such as gdata, xlsx, XLConnext, and r2excell) that read xls files and all failed. The error is related to the file format or the presence of active batons in the header. Reading the file from row 6 does not help. I will appreciate any solution by either reading the files from the website or saving the file and loading individual files to R. I have already downloaded each individual file. I need the data to compare professional requirement (by industry) between a developing and a developed country.

Peter Maclean
Department of Economics
University of Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.