[R] Greek letters in column titles.

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Mon Jul 6 01:57:53 CEST 2015

  To clarify, what I would like to do is have the letter b in the column
titles below print as the Greek letter beta.

  dimnames(results) <-
list(dimnames(results)[[1]],c("b0","SEb0","pb0","bRM0","SERMb0","pRMb0"))

  print(results)

  John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and
Geriatric Medicine
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

>>> Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 at gmail.com> 07/05/15 5:07 PM >>>
Warning: The following may be baloney, so confirmation or correction
by those more knowledgeable is required. But maybe this will get you
started/prove useful. Just beware.

1. First of all, as Ista said, this can be done, but it is heavily
system dependent as to how. Basically I think you want access to UTF-8
encodings, which any modern OS should support, but that access is
dependent on your system.

2. It also depends on where you want to display the results -- on
screen, into a pdf, or ? .

3. See also The man pages on ?unicode and ?iconv , as these may also
be relevant.

Cheers,
Bert
Bert Gunter

is certainly not wisdom."
   -- Clifford Stoll

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Ista Zahn <istazahn at gmail.com> wrote:
> x = data.frame( β =1)
>
> seems to work fine for me. Perhaps you need to give some more details
about
> what exactly the problem is.
>
> Best,
> Ista
> On Jul 5, 2015 3:36 PM, "John Sorkin" <JSorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu>
wrote:

>> I would like to include a Greek letter in a column title, viz.  pB
where B
>> should be the Greek letter beta, but I don't know how to do this. I
know
>> about dimnames, but I don't know how to create the Greek letter.
>> Thank you,
>> John
>>
>> John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
>> Professor of Medicine
>> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
>> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and
>> Geriatric Medicine
>> Baltimore VA Medical Center
>> 10 North Greene Street
>> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
>> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
>> (Phone) 410-605-7119410-605-7119
>> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)
>>

>> Confidentiality Statement:
>> This email message, including any attachments, is for
...{{dropped:16}}

Call
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Confidentiality Statement:
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.