[R] detecting any element in a vector of strings, appearing anywhere in any of several character variables in a dataframe

Thu Jul 9 18:34:28 CEST 2015

I think grep is better suited to this:

zz$v5 <- grepl( paste0( alarm.words, collapse="|" ), do.call( paste, zz[ , 2:3 ] ) ) )
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On July 9, 2015 8:51:10 AM PDT, Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Here's a way to do it that uses %in% (i.e. match() ) and uses only a
>single, not a double, loop. It should be more efficient.
>
>> sapply(strsplit(do.call(paste,zz[,2:3]),"[[:space:]]+"),
>+       function(x)any(x %in% alarm.words))
>
> [1] FALSE FALSE  TRUE FALSE FALSE  TRUE FALSE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE
>
>The idea is to paste the strings in each row (do.call allows an
>arbitrary number of columns) into a single string and then use
>strsplit to break the string into individual "words" on whitespace.
>Then the matching is vectorized with the any( %in% ... ) call.
>
>Cheers,
>Bert
>Bert Gunter
>
>"Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge
>is certainly not wisdom."
>   -- Clifford Stoll
>

>On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 6:05 AM, John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>> Dear Chris,
>>
>> If I understand correctly what you want, how about the following?
>>
>>> rows <- apply(zz[, 2:3], 1, function(x) any(sapply(alarm.words,
>grepl, x=x)))
>>> zz[rows, ]
>>
>>           v1                              v2                v3 v4
>> 3  -1.022329                    green turtle    ronald weasley  2
>> 6   0.336599              waffle the hamster        red sparks  1
>> 9  -1.631874 yellow giraffe with a long neck gandalf the white  1
>> 10  1.130622                      black bear  gandalf the grey  2
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>>  John

>> John Fox, Professor
>> McMaster University
>> Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
>> http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/
>>

>> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 22:23:37 -0400
>>  "Christopher W. Ryan" <cryan at binghamton.edu> wrote:
>>> Running R 3.1.1 on windows 7
>>>
>>> I want to identify as a case any record in a dataframe that contains
>any
>>> of several keywords in any of several variables.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> # create a dataframe with 4 variables and 10 records
>>> v2 <- c("white bird", "blue bird", "green turtle", "quick brown
>fox",
>>> "big black dog", "waffle the hamster", "benny likes food a lot",
>"hello
>>> world", "yellow giraffe with a long neck", "black bear")
>>> v3 <- c("harry potter", "hermione grainger", "ronald weasley",
>"ginny
>>> weasley", "dudley dursley", "red sparks", "blue sparks", "white
>dress
>>> robes", "gandalf the white", "gandalf the grey")
>>> zz <- data.frame(v1=rnorm(10), v2=v2, v3=v3, v4=rpois(10, lambda=2),
>>> stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
>>> str(zz)