[R] R 3.2.0 - Windows 8, 1 - SSL certificate problem installing course in swirl

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:04:10 CEST 2015

On 16/07/2015 3:08 AM, MH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to install a course for swirl and got a SSL problem:
>
>> install_from_swirl("R Programming")
> Error in function (type, msg, asError = TRUE)  :
>   SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate in certificate chain
>
> Found this answer with Google but does not work either:
>
>> set_config( config( ssl.verifypeer = 0L ) )
> Error: could not find function "set_config"
>
> What do I do to avoid or accept the SSL certificate?

We don't know what "install_from_swirl" is doing, so it's hard to say.
You should ask its author.

If it is using the "wininet" method to download from an https site, then
it is Windows that is issuing the error:  you may be able to configure
Internet Explorer to avoid it.  Ask Microsoft how.

Duncan Murdoch