[R] Why does dredge() rank models differently for lmer() and MCMCglmm()?

Corina itsme at CorinaLogan.com
Sat Jul 18 07:30:12 CEST 2015

Hello,
I am running my full model (fm) through lmer() and MCMCglmm() using the
default settings:

model.lmer <- lmer(fm)
model.MCMCglmm <- MCMCglmm(fm)

And the summary outputs are almost exactly the same:

summary(model.lmer)
summary(model.MCMCglmm)

However, when I run the models through dredge():

dredge(model.lmer)
dredge(model.MCMCglmm)

It ranks the models very differently for lmer() and MCMCglmm() in the model
selection tables, even though I used the default settings for dredge() as
well (ranked by AICc). I would assume the difference is because lmer() uses
REML and MCMCglmm() uses Bayes Rule, however if this is the case then why
weren’t the summary outputs different as well?

I have checked through the documentation for all of the associated R
packages and searched the R forums and Google for the answer, but I haven’t
seen this question addressed. I would be grateful if someone could let me
know why this happens.

Thanks in advance!

Corina