[R] Difference between drop1() vs. anova() for Gaussian glm models

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 19:03:20 CEST 2015

I am somewhat surprised that _anything_ sensible comes out of anova.glm(l, test="Chisq"). I think it is mostly expected that you use F tests for that case.

What does seem to come out is the same as for drop1(l, test="Rao"), which gives the scaled score test, which would seem to be equivalent to scaled deviance in this case.

drop1.glm(l, test="Chisq") appears to be calculating the "real" likelihood ratio test, evaluated in its asymptotic chi-square distribution:

> 2*(logLik(l) - logLik(update(l,.~1)))
'log Lik.' 6.944717 (df=3)

(Apologies for the daft output there... Why does "-" not either subtract the df or unclass the whole thing?)

Notice that the scaled tests basically assume that the scale is known, even if it is estimated, so in that sense, the real LRT should be superior. However, in that case it is well known that the asymptotic approximation can be improved  by transforming the LRT to the F statistic, whose exact distribution is known.

The remaining part of the riddle is why anova.glm doesn't do likelihood differences in the same fashion as drop1.glm. My best guess is that it tries to be consistent with anova.lm and anova.lm tries not to have to refit the sequence of submodels.