[R] Statistical distribution not fitting

Amelia Marsh amelia_marsh08 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 08:05:56 CEST 2015

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your great guidance. Made me realize that I need to think out of box.

As regards the low losses, BASEL guidelines do say to get rid of such low losses which create noise in analysing the losses caused by Operational Loss events.
Its the right tail events do matter which represent low frequency high magnitude nature losses.
But my client is so adamant about it, that although we have shown them research papers about threshold limits which need to apply to arrive at some meaningful analyses, he is insisting that we do include these low losses too and fit some distribution.

Lastly using the command

rsnorm(10000, mean = m, sd = s, xi = x)

where m, s and x are the estimated parameters obtained from loss data. The usual procedure is to arrange these simulated values in descending order and select an observation representing (say 99.9%) and this is Value at Risk (VaR) which is say 'p'.

My understanding is to this value 'p', I need to apply the transformation 10^p to arrive at the value which is in line with my original loss data. Am I right?

Thanks again sir for your great help. I have something to look ahead now.

Regards

Amelia