[R] [FORGED] Simulating multivariate gamma

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jul 25 05:28:45 CEST 2015

On 25/07/15 07:59, gmoyeyemi wrote:

> Hi, I'm having problem simulating multivariate gamma. Is there
> anyone to assist in simulating multivariate gamma. I know that for
> multivariate normal, we can use; mvrnorm (n, means, sigma)

For starters you have to specify exactly what you mean by "multivariate
gamma"; there is not a *unique* multivariate gamma distribution.

A little bit of googling on "multivariate gamma" will lead you to some
useful material.  In particular there is a reference to the copula
package which apparently provides a means of simulating a multivariate
distribution with gamma marginals.

It is not however clear to me how one specifies the desired correlation
structure, or what the limitations on such a structure are.  I find the
documentation to be opaque.

Perhaps someone with knowledge and insight on this issue will chime in.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS