[R] Opposite color in R

Atte Tenkanen attenka at utu.fi
Sun Jul 26 05:30:27 CEST 2015

Thanks,

This helps me going on.

The description in "complementary {colortools}" was/is somehow misleading:
"Complementary or opposite color scheme is formed by colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel (example: red and green)."

Atte T.

/>/
/>/  Hi,
/>/
/>/  I have tried to find a way to find opposite or complementary colors in R.
/>/
/>/  I would like to form a color circle with R like this one:http://nobetty.net/dandls/colorwheel/complementary_colors.jpg
/>/
/>/  If you just make a basic color wheel in R, the colors do not form complementary color circle:
/>/
/>/  palette(rainbow(24))
/>/  Colors=palette()
/>/  pie(rep(1, 24), col = Colors)
/>/
/>/  There is a package ”colortools” where you can find function opposite(), but it doesn’t work as is said. I tried
/>/
/>/  library(colortools)
/>/  opposite("violet") and got green instead of yellow and
/>/
/>/  opposite("blue") and got yellow instead of orange.
/>/
/>/  Do you know any solutions?
/
Not directly, but a few hints:

First read up on "complementary colors" in Wikipedia. In particular, note that the traditional color circle does not satisfy the modern definition of opposite-ness. E.g. red paint mixed with green paint is brown, not black or grey.

The construction of the color circle is simple in principle: red, blue, yellow go at 0, 120, 240 degrees, the other colors on the circle are formed by mixing two primaries in varying proportions: green (at 180 deg) is an equal mixture of blue and yellow, violet (at 60 deg) of blue and red, orange (at 300 deg) of red and yellow. Blue-green (at 150 deg) would be half blue, half green, alias three quarter blue, one quarter yellow. Etc.

The tricky bit is that the above mixtures are subtractive mixtures (mixing paint rather than light beams) and I don't know how to make a subtractive color mixture in the additive RGB space that we usually work in. Maybe there are tools in the colortools package?

-pd

>/
/>/  Atte Tenkanen
/>/
/>/  and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
/
--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501