[R] vectorized sub, gsub, grep, etc.

Adam Erickson adam.michael.erickson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 06:40:22 CEST 2015

I know this is an old thread, but I wrote a simple FOR loop with vectorized
pattern replacement that is much faster than either of those (it can also
accept outputs differing in length from the patterns):

  sub2  <- function(pattern, replacement, x) {
    len   <- length(x)
    y      <- character(length=len)
    patlen <- length(pattern)
    replen <- length(replacement)
    if(patlen != replen) stop('Error: Pattern and replacement length do not
match')
    for(i in 1:replen) {
      y[which(x==pattern[i])] <- replacement[i]
    }
    return(y)
  }

system.time(test <- sub2(patt, repl, XX))
   user  system elapsed
      0       0       0

Cheers,

Adam