[R] vectorized sub, gsub, grep, etc.

Adam Erickson adam.michael.erickson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 02:12:14 CEST 2015

Hi John,

The version I wrote performs vectorized full string matching and
replacement with some error checking and flexible inputs. I think there are
a lot of good reasons for using this method where possible (e.g., speed and
reduced complexity). Duly noted that it is different from the original
question, which I only skimmed. The previous versions you listed are both
actually faster than the function for this in stringr:

str_replace(X,patt,repl)
[1] "aB" "CD" "ef"

system.time(for(i in 1:50000) str_replace(X,patt,repl))
   user  system elapsed
   5.51    0.00    5.79

However, it seems unrealistic that the vectors would be perfectly ordered
in this way for most applications. The previous listed code is faster than
other approaches because there are far fewer permutations and only the
first character is checked. Perhaps that was the intention? I find this
case to be rare. For data.tables, I prefer the := and like() function,
which uses grepl().

Cheers,

Adam