[R] R parallel - slow speed

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 15:28:03 CEST 2015

I ran a test on my Windows box with 4 CPUs.  THere were 4 RScript processes
started in response to the request for a cluster of 4.  Each of these ran
for an elapsed time of around 23 seconds, making the median time around 0.2
seconds for 100 iterations as reported by microbenchmark.  The 'apply' only
takes about 0.003 seconds for a single iteration - again what
microbenchmark is reporting.

The 4 RScript processes each use about 3 CPU seconds in the 23 seconds of
elapsed time, most of that is probably the communication and startup time
for the processes and reporting results.

So as was pointed out previous there is overhead is running in parallel.
You probably have to have at least several seconds of heavy computation for
a iteration to make trying to parallelize something.  You should also
investigate exactly what is happening on your system so that you can
account for the time being spent.

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru