[R] Daily Category Revenue-Stacked Bar Chart in ggplot2

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Thu Jul 30 15:39:38 CEST 2015

Hi Markov
I have no idea of what nabble is or why it exists but the real problem with it is that it looks like (is?) a form where questions and responses are threaded so that it is obvious what the on-going conversation is.

So a nabble user will respond with something like :
Great but why xx1 is not a postive number?

Unfortunately there no context.  Perhaps in the mailing list their origiinal question appeared 35 or 40 emails ago. In some cases, probably many the R-help readers have  decided the OP is not interested any more and had deleted the rest of the correspondence. Therefore they have no clue what the nabble user is blathering on about and is usually not inclined to go to nabble read possibly 4-10 posts etc.

There are basically two ways of replying in a mailing list depending on personal preference and on exact needs.  Typically one top-posts if the answer is relatively self-contained. See my response.

The other way is in-line. This is used normally when the responder wants to deal with individual points in the code or make various specific comments.

In both cases the entire context of the original problem is maintained. Judidcious editing is okay but the main issues are always included in the post so any reader can have a quick look and understand what is happening.

Nabble posters seem never to provide context because they think they are in a forum. In many cases R-help users just are not willing to waste time doing what the original poster should have done

To properly participate in R-help you should go to the R home page and subscribe to the R-help mailing list there.

>ou should probably write a wiki going forward so you won't get
>upset every-time somebody asks a reasonable question.

Feel free to do so.
One thing to note about the R-help list. It can be incredibly helpful but is not terribly polite or, in some cases particularly tolerant of what is perceived as un-list behaviours and so people do get flames, sometimes deservedly and sometimes unjustly. Just hope you don't get Ripleyied.:)

I'll have to think about your use of a barchart. I think you are the first person who has ever come up with an explanation of why one would use a barchart that may make sense. Can you give me an example?

Well come to the R-help list (down with nabble)

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada