[R] Error running help.search("keywords")

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 18:44:18 CEST 2015

On 04/06/2015 6:42 AM, Yo Gmail wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When running help.search(“linear algebra”) or any other valid search keyword the following error is being returned:
>
> Error in help(db[i, "topic"], package = db[i, "Package"], lib.loc = lib,  :
>    'topic' should be a name, length-one character vector or reserved word
>
> I have not installed the optional packages neither Tcl/Tk nor Texinfo.
>
> Any ideas what the error could be, what can I do to fix it?

It's probably just your email, but R won't understand "smart quotes"
like you use above.  But if you tried that, you'd get a different error:

 > help.search(“linear algebra”)
Error: unexpected input in "help.search(“"

Assuming what you really typed was using plain ASCII quotes, please try
a recent R-patched version.  The search

help.search("linear algebra")

works fine for me there.

Duncan Murdoch