[R] S4 / operator "[" : Compatibility issue between lme4 and kml

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 5 11:33:46 CEST 2015

    > Hi all,
    > There is a compatibility issue between the package 'lme4' and my package
    > 'kml'. I define the "[" operator. It works just fine in my package (1). If I
    > try to use the lme4 package, then it does no longer work (2). Moreover, it
    > has some kind of strange behavior (3). Do you know what is wrong? Any idea
    > of how I can correct that?

    > Here is a reproductible example, and the same code with the result follows.

Dear Christophe,
can you please specify the exact sessionInfo() ?
(after loading both kml and lme4).

'Matrix' has been updated on CRAN very recently, and
'lme4' is about to be update very soon,
so this *is* a somewhat interesting and important problem,
but the exact versions of the packages *do* matter.

Bonnes salutations!

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich