[R] "Updating Loaded Package" behavior

Drew Marticorena drewmarticorena at awhere.com
Fri Jun 5 19:45:48 CEST 2015

Hello, I am trying to handle more gracefully the issue that occurs when one attempts to install a new version of a package whose library is currently loaded.  When one does this the functions in the package work but when one tries to view the documentation a warning pop is given and the following messages are in the terminal.

Error in fetch(key) : lazy-load database '' is corrupt
Warning message: In fetch(key) : internal error -3 in R_decompress1

When testing this behavior with other packages but installing old versions, loading the libraries, and then trying to update I sometimes get a popup message from Rstudio that begins

Updating Loaded Package

One or more of the packages that will be updated by this installation are currently loaded. Restarting R prior to updating these packages is strongly recommended. RStudio can restart R and then automatically continue the installation after restarting (all work and data will be preserved during the restart). Do you want to restart R prior to installing?

The popup asks if I want to restart the R session prior to installing.  This has never occurred with my own package, only ones I have gotten from CRAN.   I however can not reliably replicate this popup appearing.  For my purpose all of the work with the package will occur within RStudio.  Is there a way to force RStudio to show this popup when one tries to update an already loaded package/library in order to avoid having the user have to figure out why the documentation has all of a sudden stopped working?  Alternatively could the same thing be done at the command line forcing the user to acknowledge the issue and either progress with the install or first restart?

Thank you for any help or insights into this problem

drew marticorena

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]