[R] dplyr - counting a number of specific values in each column - for all columns at once

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 22:02:06 CEST 2015

... my bad! -- I filed to read carefully.

A base syntax version is:

dat <- data.frame (a=sample(1:5,10,rep=TRUE),
                   b=sample(3:7,10,rep=TRUE),
                   g = sample(7:9,10,rep=TRUE))

dev <- sample(1:3,10,rep=TRUE)

sapply(dat,function(x)
  tapply(x,dev,function(x)sum(x==5,na.rm=TRUE)))

  a b g
1 2 0 0
2 1 3 0
3 2 1 0

I think, no matter what, that there are 2 loops here: An outer one by
column and an inner one by device within each column.

Being both old and lazy, I have found it easier and more natural to stick
with the basic functional syntax of the "apply" family of functions rather
than to learn an alternative database type syntax (and semantics). My
applications were never so large that the possible execution inefficiency
mattered. However, it certainly might for others.  And of course, what is
"natural" for me might not be for others.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

"Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is
certainly not wisdom."
   -- Clifford Stoll