[R] Draw maps on arbitrary Projections

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 02:57:07 CEST 2015

The easiest way is to find out what the actual projection is, and
reconstruct a sensible representation of the grid.

Usually you have to guess, but it's possible to figure out. You *can* plot
by building a proper mesh in longlat, but my preference is full rescue. You
need to know the projection and its particulars, i.e. google suggests its
Lambert Conformal Conic but you also need datum/ellipsoid, standard
parallels, and central longitude/latitude at a minimum.

If you can point to an actual example and some trail of where it came from
someone could help.

Also, R-Sig-Geo is a specialized mailing list for this stuff.
Cheers, Mike.