[R] Setting two default CRAN servers under Windows/RStudio

Sigbert Klinke sigbert at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 25 11:03:59 CEST 2015

Hi,

I tried the following:

local({r <- getOption("repos")
       r["CRAN"]   <- "http://local.cran.server/"
       r["MIRROR"] <- "http://cran.mirror/"
       options(repos=r)
})

But: R seems always to take the "CRAN" entry first, therefore I put our
local mirror there.

If a R session starts and the "CRAN" server is not available then a
package is taken from the "MIRROR" server. If the server comes up during
the session then the next install.packages will use the "CRAN" server.

But if the "CRAN" server becomes unavailable during a session then the
"MIRROR" server is not checked and I get an error message "download of
package 'xyz' failed".

Any ideas?

Sigbert

--