[R] Plotting legend outside of chart area

Antonio Serrano aasdelat at aim.com
Fri Jun 26 16:12:18 CEST 2015

First, you have to increase the bottom margin to have enough space for the legend.
 You do it like this:
 par(
     mar = c(6,4,4,2)
 )

 From R help:
      ‘mar’ A numerical vector of the form ‘c(bottom, left, top, right)’
           which gives the number of lines of margin to be specified on
           the four sides of the plot.  The default is ‘c(5, 4, 4, 2) +
           0.1’.
 So, we have increased the first number from 5 to 6 to have mor space at the bottom.

 Then, in the legend(), you have to add the option:
 inset = c(0, -0.2),

 From R help:
    inset: inset distance(s) from the margins as a fraction of the plot
           region when legend is placed by keyword.
 Change the -0.2 and the 6 in the par(mar) until you get a nice chart

Antonio Serrano
aasdelat en aim.com
ن