[R] R crashes when I run rgeos::gDistance

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Mar 3 15:07:00 CET 2015

Adrian Torchiana <adrian.torchiana <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first post to R-help.  I'm having trouble getting rgeos to work.

R-help is arguably too general to help, please ask questions of this kind on
R-sig-geo.

> Info on the server and packages I'm using:

> $ *rpm -qa | grep geos*
> geos-devel-3.4.2-1.rhel6.x86_64
> geos-3.4.2-1.rhel6.x86_64

How did you install rgeos (from source)? Are other versions of GEOS present
not installed as RPMs?

> $ *R -q*
> > *library(rgeos)*
> rgeos version: 0.3-8, (SVN revision 460)
>  GEOS runtime version: 3.4.2-CAPI-1.8.2 r3921
>  Polygon checking: TRUE
>
> > *example(gDistance)*
>
> gDstnc> pt1 = readWKT("POINT(0.5 0.5)")
>
> gDstnc> pt2 = readWKT("POINT(2 2)")
>
> gDstnc> p1 = readWKT("POLYGON((0 0,1 0,1 1,0 1,0 0))")
>
> gDstnc> p2 = readWKT("POLYGON((2 0,3 1,4 0,2 0))")
>
> gDstnc> gDistance(pt1,pt2)
> R: GeometryComponentFilter.cpp:34: virtual void
> geos::geom::GeometryComponentFilter::filter_ro(const
> geos::geom::Geometry*): Assertion `0' failed.
> Aborted (core dumped)

rgeos is tested regularly and frequently, so the issue here is on your
platform, I'm afraid.

> I'd like to be able to use the gDistance function.  What should I do to fix
> this?

The simplest way is to install GEOS from source, because you avoid relying
on upstream packaging. This will however interfere with other software that
may depend on your existing GEOS.

> Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Adrian
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please do not post HTML.