[R] Using a text file as a removeWord dictionary in tm_map

Sun Shine phaedrusv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:43:39 CET 2015

Hi again

I've now had the chance to try this out, and using scan() doesn't seem
to work either.

This is what I used:

1) I generated a plain text file called stopDict.txt. This file is of
the format: "a, bunch, of, words, to, use"

2) I invoked scan(), like this:
 > userStopList <- scan(text = '~/path/to/stopDict.txt', what = " ", sep
= ",")

3) Then I used the externally generated list as stop words:
 > docs <- tm_map(docs, removeWords, userStopList)

3) When I go to inspect the document, at least two of the user-defined
stop words are in the text

Is there a further argument I should be passing to scan(), or is the
stopDict.txt file not set up the correct way? I tried each term
separated by ' ' and ',', (e.g. 'all', 'the', 'text') but that didn't
work, neither does it seem to work when the whole list is enclosed
within quotes (e.g. "all, the, text").

While not critical to have the capacity to read in an externally
generated list, it sure would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sun