[R] Fitting Legend to Matrix Plot

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 4 22:39:05 CET 2015

   I have a matrix plot of ternary diagrams (pdf attached) generated with
these commands:

opar <- par(xpd=NA,no.readonly=T)

plot(WintersY, pch=as.numeric(WintersX4),
 	col=c("black","red","green","blue","yellow","orange")[WintersX4])

legend(x=0.75, y=0.0, abbreviate(levels(WintersX4),
 	minlength=1),pch=as.numeric(WintersX4),
 	col=c("black","red","green","blue","yellow","orange"), yjust=0)

par(opar)

   I have read ?legend but am uncertain what to adjust so the legend is
readable yet not overlapping any of the plots. One of this series of plots
has data from 8 years which would be a worse looking fit.

   How should I specify the legend (or the plots themselves) in a figure that
occupies the full display?

Rich