[R] Find the name of the package with called the function

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Thu Mar 5 11:24:38 CET 2015

Dear all,

I have several pacakges which all use some generic functions stored in
package. Let's call the package with generic functions 'auxiliary', a
package which uses those functions 'main'.

'auxiliary' has a function that needs the name of the package it is called
by. Currently I solve this by passing the name of the package as an
argument.

auxiliary::a <- function(package){
  cat("do something with", package)
}

#'@importFrom auxiliary a
main::use_a <- function(){
   a(package = "main")
}

I was wondering how I can rewrite this so I don't have to pass the package
name as an argument.

auxiliary::a <- function(){
  package <- the_thing_I_am_looking_for()
  cat("do something with", package)