[R] help on output my own function result in ddply

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at ucsf.edu
Fri Mar 6 06:57:59 CET 2015

On Mar 5, 2015 8:32 PM, "Sarah Goslee" <sarah.goslee at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> On Thursday, March 5, 2015, JS Huang <js.huang at protective.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   There is a lot of if-else statement.  r syntax rejects them.  Here is
an
> > example of if-else example.  In r we can code *ifelse(x>2,y <-
> > 1,ifelse(x>1,y <- 0.5, y <- 0))* for the following.
>

> I'm not sure what you are talking about: if-else is a valid construct in
R,
> and NOT synonymous with ifelse().
>
> Your construct below is wrong, though, because the curly brace on a line
> alne tells R that you're done. Instead you need
>
> if(x > 2) {
>    y <- 1
> } else {
>    y <- 0
> }
>
> and these can be nested at will. Note that else is on the same line as the
> curly brace ending the if statement.
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-lang.html#if
>

> > if (x > 2)
> > {
> >   y = 1
> > }
> > else
> > {
> >   if (x > 1)
> >   {
> >      y = 0.5
> >   }
> >   else
> >   {
> >      y = 0
> >   }
> > }
> >

> > -----
> > JS Huang
> > --
> context in your post the real R help list will have little idea what
you're
> talking about.

Yes, it has happened before and is really confusing to the r-help list.  It
occurs when the original message is posted by a user on Nabble who is not
on the r-help list - then that message is held for moderation/discarded.
Then another Nabble user, who is on also the r-help list, respond via
Nabble and then we only see that reply over here at r-help.  Second user
who reply is probably unaware of this (though the Nabble interface says
"This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.") and makes it
look like s/he is posting random text/code.

It would be useful if our mailing list server could filter out/block such
threads, but that is probably not that easy to do.

Henrik