[R] vignette advice

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 21:50:20 CET 2015

On 06/03/2015 1:25 PM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've built several packages before, but am now building a new package and
> would like to have a vignette to go with it.  I will be using knitr for it.
>
> My question, please:  could someone recommend a good reference on the
> content-type material itself for the vignette, please?

I don't know a reference to recommend, but when I am trying out a new
package, the first thing I look for is a vignette to give a package
overview.  It should say what the package is for, and demonstrate (at
least) the major functions.  If I don't find a vignette, I deduct 5
points ;-).

After the package overview, you might also have vignettes that discuss
particular technical issues.

If you have published a paper about your package in the R Journal or
JSS, including a copy as a vignette is a reasonable thing to do.  (Of
course, as the package evolves, the paper might become obsolete; then
you have a problem:  update it, or just declare it of historical interest?)

Duncan Murdoch