[R] .Rprofile vs. First (more of an opinion question)

Wed Mar 11 01:51:15 CET 2015

I concur with Rolf.

.RData files (the ones with nothing before the period) are just traps for your future self, with no documentation. I avoid them like the plague. I refer to specifically-named Something.RData files in my .R/.Rnw/.Rmd files to cache results of long computations, but they are optional in my workflow because I always have R code that can regenerate them.

.Rprofile files offer consistency of behavior  regardless of which working directory you use, and you can comment them.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing