[R] Comparing each component of vector to each component of a Matrix.

Sven E. Templer sven.templer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 08:26:40 CET 2015

Hi,

you didn't specify values in A, and you first wanted to compare bi
with Aij, but then also which bi is less/equal to zero.

For the first case, with

A <- matrix(0:3,2)
b <- seq(-1,5)

and a comparison function for bi less/equal to Aij like

f <- function (bi) {as.integer(bi<=A)}

you can iterate along b with

lapply(b, f) # contains results as matrices in a list, each with same
dimensions as A
sapply(b, f) # aligns results to an length(A)*length(b) matrix

Best,
S.