[R] Relation of BLAS and LAPACK

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 16:13:20 CET 2015

On 12/03/2015 13:43, Tomáš Greif wrote:
> How BLAS and LAPACK are related, does R need both?

Both.

> I am trying to understsand different BLAS options in R and I am quite not
> sure if LAPACK is part of BLAS, or separate library or something else.
> Based on http://www.netlib.org/lapack/ it looks like LAPACK is some kind of
> BLAS extension ("LAPACK routines are written so that as much as possible of
> the computation is performed by calls to the Basic Linear Algebra
> Subprograms (BLAS)").

No, LAPACK is a set of routines distinct from BLAS.  However, the
standard LAPACK tarball includes a reference set of BLAS routines which
are also available separately.  Hence some confusion.  But the confusion
is that BLAS is part of LAPACK, not v.v.

This is not an R-help topic (see the posting guide, including what it
says about HTML mail).