[R] Installing R on Linux Red Hat Server

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Mar 12 21:55:32 CET 2015

> On Mar 12, 2015, at 3:39 PM, Axel Urbiz <axel.urbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> My apologies if this is not the right place to post this question.
>
> I need to get R installed on a Linux Red Hat server. I have very limited
> exposure to R and would appreciate some basic guidance if you could point
> me to resources describing the process, requirements, etc.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Best,
> Axel.

Hi,

Pointers to some references:

1. The EPEL, which is how you would obtain pre-compiled binary RPMs of R. You will need to have root permissions on the server in order to do this. Once their yum repos are configured on your server, 'sudo yum install R' is essentially what you would need.

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

2. The R Installation and Administration Manual, which will provide some guidance, in the Linux section and in the appendices (primarily A) for additional items that may be relevant:

  http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html

3. The R-SIG-Fedora list, which is focused on the use of R on RH and derivative (eg. Fedora) Linux distributions. Follow up questions should be posted there, ideally after you subscribe, lest you be subject to on-going moderation (speaking as a co-moderator of that list).