[R] print and rbind within a for loop

Steven LeBlanc oreslag at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:43:08 CET 2015

Greets,

I'm trying to iteratively find solutions to a problem given a range of options. Code is as follows:

sim.app.wald<-function(B=0.1,min=10,max=50,alpha=0.05){
	result<-c(fails=0,n=0)
	for(n in min:max){
		x<-seq(1,n-1,1)
		fhat<-x/n
		se<-sqrt((fhat*(1-fhat))/n)
		ci.wald<-fhat+qnorm(1-(alpha/2))*se
		if(sum(ci.wald[ci.wald<=B])){
#			rbind(cbind(fails=x[ci.wald<=B],n=n),result)
			print(cbind(X=x[ci.wald<=B],n))
		}
#	return(result)
	}
}

If you run it like this, you can readily see what I intend to get out; which is the correct result. If you uncomment the two commented lines, nothing useful obtains.

What am I missing here? This seeming codependence of print() and return() and the failure of rbind() to do anything is quite puzzling.

Best Regards,
Steven
	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]