[R] list output

Erin Hodgess erinm.hodgess at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:22:14 CET 2015

Hello!

I am having some trouble with some list output.

Here is my code:
geobunch <- function(y) {

          out <- vector("list",3)
          aic <- numeric(length=3)
          print(str(out))
          for(i in 1:3) {

          x <- geomin(y,i)
          print(i)
          print(x)
          print(str(x))
          out[i]$phi_0 <- x$phi_0
          out[i]$maxlike <- x$maxlike
          out[i]$bigp <- x$bigp
          aic[i] <- -2*out[i]$maxlike + (2*(i+1))
}
          minaic <- which(aic==min(aic))
          minout <- out[unlist(minaic)]
          return(minout)
}

And here is the output:
> geobunch(ez2a)
List of 3
 $ : NULL
 $ : NULL
 $ : NULL
NULL
[1] 1
$phi_0
[1] 2.856428

$bigp
[1] 0.1584016

$maxlike
[1] -473.0203

List of 3
 $ phi_0  : num 2.86
 $ bigp   : num 0.158
 $ maxlike: num -473
NULL
Error in aic[i] <- -2 * out[i]$maxlike + (2 * (i + 1)) :
  replacement has length zero
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In out[i]$phi_0 <- x$phi_0 :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length
2: In out[i]$maxlike <- x$maxlike :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length
3: In out[i]$bigp <- x$bigp :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length

I know that the problem is in how I am setting up the "out" variable, but
I'm not sure how to correct it.  Also, the bigp variable can take on
different lengths.

This is on R version 3.1.3, on Ubuntu 14.04.

Thank you so much for any help.

Sincerely,
Erin

--