[R] Help with POSIX

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Mar 31 03:15:09 CEST 2015

I’m struggling a bit with learning about POSIX objects to do some basic things with objects of this class. Suppose I have the following simple example

times <- c("03:20", "29:56", "03:30", "21:03", "56:26")

aa <- strptime(times, "%M:%S”)

I can do means, and some other basic things, but I cannot correlate the objects with some other variable

cor(aa, rnorm(5))

Also, for purposes of a user-interface I have built with shiny, I need for the time to be viewed as simply as minutes:seconds, such as this

format(aa, '%M:%S’)

But of course after doing this I lose the ability to work with this object as a time variable.

Thank you
Harold

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]