[R] Request for functions to calculate correlated factors influencing an outcome.

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon May 4 15:55:16 CEST 2015

This would be better posted on a statistical list like
stats.stackexchange.com, as it is largely about statistical
methodology, not R code. Once you have determined what kinds of
methods you want, you might then post back here -- or better yet, just
search! -- for packages that implement those methods in R.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
(650) 467-7374

is certainly not wisdom."
Clifford Stoll

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 1:40 AM, Lalitha Viswanathan
<lalitha.viswanathan79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I used the MASS library
> library(MASS)  (by reading about examples at
> http://www.statmethods.net/stats/regression.html
> <http://s.bl-1.com/h/ofLlK27?url=http://www.statmethods.net/stats/regression.html>
> )
> fit <- lm(Mileage~Disp+HP+Weight+Reliability,data=newx)
> step <- stepAIC(fit, direction="both")
> step$anova # display results
>
> It showed the most relevant variables affecting Mileage.
> While that is a start, I am looking for a model that fits the entire data
> (including Mileage), not factors that influence Mileage.
>
> Multi model inference / selection.
>
> I was reading about glmulti.
> Are there any other packages I could look at, for infering models that best
> fit the data.
>
> To use nlm / nls, I need a formula, as one of the parameters to best fit
> the data and I am looking for functions that will help infer that formula
> from the data.
>
> Thanks
> lalitha
>
> On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Prashant Sethi <theseth.prashant at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not an expert in data analysis (a beginner still learning tricks of
>> the trade) but I believe in your case since you're trying to determine the
>> correlation of a dependent variable with a number of factor variables, you
>> should try doing the regression analysis of your model. The function you'll
>> use for that is the lm() function. You can use the forward building or the
>> backward elimination method to build your model with the most critical
>> factors included.
>>
>> Maybe you can give it a try.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Prashant Sethi
>> On 3 May 2015 23:18, "Lalitha Viswanathan" <
>> lalitha.viswanathan79 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I am sorry, I saved the file removing the dot after the Disp (as I was
>>> going wrong on a read.delim which threw an error about !header, etc...The
>>> dot was not the culprit, but I continued to leave it out.
>>> Let me paste the full code here.
>>> x<-read.table("/Users/Documents/StatsTest/fuelEfficiency.txt",
>>> header=TRUE,
>>> x<-data.frame(x)
>>> for (i in unique(x$Country)) { print (i); y <- subset(x, x$Country == i);
>>> print(y); }
>>> newx <- subset (x, select = c(Price, Reliability, Mileage, Weight, Disp,
>>> HP))
>>> cor(newx, method="pearson")
>>> my.cor <-cor.test(newx$Weight, newx$Price, method="spearman")
>>> my.cor <-cor.test(newx$Weight, newx$HP, method="spearman")