[R] does segfault mean (always) a bug?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 6 09:20:46 CEST 2015

On 05/05/15 20:36, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 05/05/2015 2:54 PM, lejeczek wrote:
>> hi eveybody
>>
>> I'm trying something simple (Biocunductor packages), so
>> simple I believe it's example from docs but I get segfault.
>> I don't suppose incorrect scripting can cause segfault, right?
> In R, a segfault always indicates a bug.  What's not so clear is whether
> it is a bug in R, a bug in a contributed package, or a bug in some
> underlying system library.
>
> If you can only trigger the bug when using a Bioconductor package, then
> the first guess is that it is that package, and the maintainer of that
> package is in the best position to track it down further.  If you can
> simplify the code to trigger it without using any contributed packages,
> then it could well be a bug in R, and we'd like to see code to reproduce it.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

hi Duncan
I remember that this was a principle of most of programming
languages, only a bug in the code and/or compiler could
cause segfault.
In my case it is a contributed package, specifically GOSim
package, I'm not R programmer and I realise my scripting is
far from good and possibly with errors.
I could send that snippet of the code here if people think
it can be looked into and segfault could be replicated?
I also emailed the author.

many thanks
P.