[R] Looking up the code for a function

Ronald Kölpin ronald.koelpin at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:59:45 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I am trying to find out how a certain functionality is implemented in R
respectively what a certain found does exactly.

Specifically I am interested in multivariate kernel density estimation.
I found the "ks" package and its "kde" function. Usually, my preferred
way to "look under the hood" of any function is to simply type the
functions name without any brackets or arguments, in this case just:
kde. And this works fine for kde itself. But kde calls other functions,
such as kde.grid.3d or kde.points and typing those function names just
yields "Error: Object '[function name]' not found". These functions
aren't defined within kde either (as far as I can see).

So here is my question: Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to
look up the code of these functions?

(I already tried google but found only the usual documentation
(vignettes) and articles referencing the function kde or the package ks).

Thanks a lot in advance
and kind regards

RK