[R] trouble installing RcppOctave

C W tmrsg11 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 21:44:45 CEST 2015

Dear R list,

I am trying install the RcppOctave package to run Matlab packages in R.  I
did the following,

> install.packages("RcppOctave")

After some time of installation, I get the following error.  I have
homebrew installed, I also have Octave and Matlab install.

installing the source package ‘RcppOctave’

trying URL '
http://watson.nci.nih.gov/cran_mirror/src/contrib/RcppOctave_0.14.5.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/octet-stream' length 767455 bytes (749 KB)
downloaded 749 KB

* installing *source* package ‘RcppOctave’ ...
** package ‘RcppOctave’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking R CC... clang
checking R CFLAGS... -Wall -mtune=core2 -g -O2
checking R CPPFLAGS... -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2
-I/opt/X11/include
checking R CXXFLAGS... -Wall -mtune=core2 -O3
checking for clang... /usr/bin/clang
checking for gcc... clang
checking for suffix of executables... checking whether we are cross
compiling... no
checking whether clang accepts -g... yes
checking for clang option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... /usr/bin/g++
Original R_LDFLAGS:   -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R
-lpcre -llzma -lbz2 -lz -licucore -lm -liconv
Original R_CPPFLAGS: -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
checking whether R is a shared library... yes
checking type of Operating System... Darwin
checking whether OS is Mac OS (Darwin)... yes
Using mkoctfile with R_LDFLAGS: -Wl,"-F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/..
-framework R -lpcre -llzma -lbz2 -lz -licucore -lm -liconv"
Using mkoctfile with R_CPPFLAGS:
-I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
checking Octave binary path specification... none
using Octave binary path from $PATH
checking for octave-config... no
checking for mkoctfile... no
configure: error: mkoctfile not found, is Octave installed?

    -> On Mac OS please check that the required packages are installed:

      * octave package from homebrew (works out of the box):
        $ brew install gfortran octave

        # install as usual in R
        > install.packages('RcppOctave')

ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RcppOctave’
* removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.2/Resources/library/RcppOctave’

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/private/var/folders/qf/q83rlh3x2qjcp75c3phtj81c0000gn/T/Rtmpdh718K/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages("RcppOctave") :
  installation of package ‘RcppOctave’ had non-zero exit status

Thanks in advance,

Mike

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]