[R] Building R-3.2.0 from source.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun May 10 14:15:50 CEST 2015

I am just now getting around to upgrading from 3.1.2 to 3.2.0 and am
getting hammered by a problem which is beyond my limited capabilities of
handling.

I executed

   ./configure --with-tcltk --with cairo

which seemed to go just fine, and then did:

    make

In fairly short order I started getting  error messages like unto:

> connections.o: In function `gzcon_write':
> /home/rolf/Desktop/Rinst/R-3.2.0/src/main/connections.c:5469: undefined reference to `deflate'

There were also complaints about undefined references to inflate, crc32,
deflateEnd, inflateEnd, inflateReset, inflateInit2_, deflateInit2_,
compress, uncompress, and zlibVersion, many of which were issued
repeatedly.  It finally gave up, saying:

A bit of googling informed me (I think?) that a workaround was to
configure using --without-system-pcre.  This however achieved nothing in
my case.

Can anyone point me at what I need to do to fix this?  Install or update
something?

I am running an (elderly, no-longer-supported) Fedora 17 Linux.

Thanks for any assistance.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--