[R] Building R-3.2.0 from source.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun May 10 23:52:54 CEST 2015

I am cross-posting this to r-sig-fedora (I hope that's not an egregious
sin) in the hope that doing so might provide some source of insight.

I tried

     sudo yum install zlib

and was told

> Package zlib-1.2.5-7.fc17.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Likewise for "zlib-devel".

I also tried

     sudo yum install bzlib

and was told

> No package bzlib available.

Likewise for "bzlib-devel".

Finally I sort of got some joy with "lzma" and "lzma-devel" --- both of
those yielded an actual installation.  But it didn't help.

I re-did the configure and then the make and got the same
errors/complaints about undefined references to deflate, inflate, crc32,
etc.

Can anyone provide any guidance/suggestions about what else I could try?
I'm getting very frustrated! :-)

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--