[R] Using Calipers in GenMatch and Match

Elan Swartz elanswartz at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:33:53 CEST 2015

Hi

I have been reading the documentation, and it seems there is no difference
in the caliper option in the packages genmatch and match. In both the
simplistic way to use them is to specific a scalar which reflects the
maximum number of standard deviations the control can be away from the
treated. However, when running match(), I can specify relativly small
calipers <.1 without loosing too many observations. On the otherhand, with
GenMatch(), a caliper of 0.5 will drop 98% of my observations.

I was wondering if someone can explain the difference in how a caliper
functions in Genmatch vs. match function?

cheers

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]