[R] How to make sub-headers in R

Fri May 15 16:42:52 CEST 2015

I think you are not interpreting what is happening correctly. Column names are labels used for purposes of referring to the data in your R code. That they might also be useful in presenting data in output is coincidental. The fact that many data input functions replace spaces in those labels with periods should convince you of this fact.

On the other hand, the options available when you output that table usually depend on where you want to display the result, which you have not mentioned. For example the tables package has many options for labeling columns if you are generating HTML or LaTeX output. Or, you could write your own function to generate any output format you want.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing