[R] Feature or bug?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu May 21 16:48:31 CEST 2015

On 21 May 2015, at 16:26 , Bert Gunter <gunter.berton at gene.com> wrote:

> Well..
>
> "Because the global variable is changed before input is evaluated.  R
> has lazy argument evaluation, arguments are only evaluated once they
> are needed.  You are essentially getting bitten by R's lazy evaluation
> plus "pass by value" syntax."
>
> While I may be either wrong or just picking on semantics, I don't
> think so. It is merely what you stated previously: input was assigned
> a value in the local server function environment, and that assignment
> was not affected by the subsequent assignment to the global
> environment. So it is a matter of R's semantics -- where it looks for
> the values bound to symbols -- rather than lazy evaluation.
>
> Obviously then, a simple way to do what the OP seemed to want would be
> to simply assign the updated value in the local function environment,
> rather than the global. I get nervous whenever I see constructs with
> eval(substitute...)) or global assignments from within a function.
> Both have their place, of course, but (the latter especially) can be
> dangerous, and my experience both on the list and with my own code, is
> that if you think you need them, you probably should rethink what you
> need to do.
>
> Corrections and/or criticism of these comments are welcome.

Berwin is right, or rather: There are two issues. The "input" argument to server() is evaluated when first used. The difference between the two examples is whether this happens before or after update(), and that is the effect of lazy evaluation. The fact that it in the first case the value is unchanged by the update is due to scoping: Once evaluate "input" becomes a local variable  an is unchanged by assignment to the global variable.

-pd