[R] Problem with particular file in XML package?

Keith Jewell Keith.Jewell at campdenbri.co.uk
Thu May 28 10:25:11 CEST 2015

The OP asked "Has anyone else had trouble with the XML package lately
and if so, how did you resolve it?"

For what it's worth...

I failed to install XML using install() with the defaults; I can't
remember the exact error message, something about access denied.

Downloading XML_3.98-1.1.zip with Internet Explorer
<http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.2/XML_3.98-1.1.zip>
gave a more informative error:
========================
Threat Source: http://cran.r-project.or...trib/3.2/XML_3.98-1.1.zip

The file requested could not be scanned by Sophos Anti-Virus. This means
it could be encrypted or may contain errors that prevent full scanning.
As a result, the file was blocked from downloading.
=====================
... so my access was blocked by our systems anti-virus.

Our IT people bypassed the anti-virus to download the zip from which I
successfully installed.

I note that in the library as installed there is a file
    ...\XML\exampleData\dtd.zip
Double-clicking in Windows Explorer gives an error:
=========
Windows cannot open the folder. The Compressed (zipped) Folder ... is
invalid.
=========

I speculate that Sophos Anti-Virus could not scan dtd.zip because it
tried to open it as a zipped folder and failed. I don't know if it
really is a zipped folder or if that's just its name :-O

This 2013 thread seems relevant
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2013-November/010494.html