[R] alternatives to KS test applicable to K-samples

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat May 30 23:11:06 CEST 2015

On May 29, 2015, at 10:02 AM, Cade, Brian wrote:

> Wensui:  There are the multi-response permutation procedures (MRPP) that
> readily test the omnibus hypothesis of no distributional differences among
> multiple samples for univariate or multivariate responses.  There also are
> empirical coverage tests that test a similar hypothesis among multiple
> samples but only for univariate responses.  Both are included in the USGS
> Blossom package for R linked here:
> https://www.fort.usgs.gov/products/23735 (not yet distributed via CRAN).

I did not find a link to an actual package at that page nor on any of the others to which it linked.

> The MRPP may also be available in other R packages on CRAN (vegan ?).

There is an mrpp function in pkg:vegan although its help page description made me think it depended (at least in its default mode) on the squared-deviations from means. I'd suggest using CRAN Task View: Robust Statistical Methods  (Maintainer: Martin Maechler) for searching for alternative methods.

--
David.

> Brian
>
> Brian S. Cade, PhD
>
> U. S. Geological Survey
> Fort Collins Science Center
> 2150 Centre Ave., Bldg. C
> Fort Collins, CO  80526-8818
>
> email:  cadeb at usgs.gov <brian_cade at usgs.gov>
> tel:  970 226-9326
>

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Wensui Liu <liuwensui at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Good morning, All
>> I have a stat question not specifically related to the the programming
>> language.
>> To compare distributional consistency / discrepancy between two
>> samples, we usually use kolmogorov-smirnov test, which is implemented
>> in R with ks.test() or in SAS with "pro npar1way edf".
>> I am wondering if there is any alternative to KS test that could be
>> generalized to K-samples.
>>
>> Thanks and have a nice weekend.
>>
>> wensui

David Winsemius