[R] If else

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 1 00:59:28 CET 2015

Ted:  You are either being deliberately obtuse or playing Devil's
advocate or just stirring.  It is clear from his/her posts that the OP
has limited understanding of both R and statistics.  Your sophisticated
philosophising about the possibility of "three sexes" is very unlikely
to have anything to do with what the OP wishes to accomplish.

The advice requested was not about how to treat "NA" as a "third sex"
but about how to convert categorical data coded as NA, "M", and "F" to
numeric.  Which cannot possibly be a good idea.

It is not productive to encourage the OP to persist with wrong-headed
notions.  Instead he or she should be encouraged to get to grips with
the real issues of the analysis and to understand that treating
categorical data as numeric is a recipe for disaster.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS