[R] CentOS 6.5 x86_64 R installation throwing "Error in download.file(url, destfile = f, quiet = TRUE) : unsupported URL scheme" error

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:57:01 CET 2015

3.2.0 is the problem. Support for HTTPS was streamlined in 3.2.2.

You either need to choose an HTTP mirror (if you can trust your communication lines -- the reason for the change is that it was a security hole for people with untrusted connections: free wifi, etc.), or figure out how to install 3.2.2 on CentOS. For the latter, I suppose that you need a different YUM repo, but I've gone too rusty on the RedHat/Fedora/CentOS specifics.

-pd