[R] What happened to Canada?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Nov 2 13:41:11 CET 2015

> On Nov 2, 2015, at 6:00 AM, John Kane <jrkrideau at inbox.com> wrote:
>
> A rather silly question but I went to install a new package this morning and as usual a list of CRAN mirrors appeared but the Canadian ones had disappeared.
>
> Is this some peculiarity of my system (Ubuntu 14.10 with R version 3.2.2)  or a new policy for R?
>

> John Kane
> Kingston ON Canada

Hi John,

Presuming that the CRAN mirror list online is current, there do not appear to be any CRAN mirrors in Canada which support secure HTTP (HTTPS), which is now the default in 3.2.2.

See the announcement from August 14 (SIGNIFICANT USER-VISIBLE CHANGES and NEW FEATURES):

 https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-announce/2015/000589.html

See ?chooseCRANmirror for more information.

When you get a list of mirrors to select, by default the top of the list will include mirrors that support HTTPS. The last entry on the list should be (HTTP mirrors). Click that and it will bring up a list of additional mirrors, including Canadian locations, that support HTTP.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz