[R] JAGS 4.x, rjags 4.x problems | Linux

Evan Cooch evan.cooch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:08:47 CET 2015

Greetings --

This has also been posted on the jags forum, but since I suspect the
problem is more 'R-related' than jags, will aos post here.

Decided to 'upgrade' from jags 3.x.x to 4.x.x today, on my GNU/Linux
boxes (which run latest RHEL). Here are the basic details:

1\ used R 3.2.2 compiled from source. 64-bit -- nothing fancy, other
than the fact that I used OpenBLAS instead of 'generic'. Works fine.

2\ downloaded and compiled JAGS 4.0.1 from source (nothing fancy,
./configure & make & make install) -- no errors. Runs fine as a
standalone app from CLI.

3\ Downloaded rjags_4-3.tar.gz, and installed from R CLI (within R --
usual R CMD INSTALL approach). Again, no errors reported.

However, when I fire up R, and try something simple like

library(R2jags)

I get a whole slew of error messages - following is reproducible on all
my machines:

Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rjags', details:
call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
error: unable to load shared object
'/usr/lib64/R/library/rjags/libs/rjags.so':
libjags.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error: package ‘rjags’ could not be loaded

Meaning, what? I checked, and rjags.so is where its supposed to be.If I run

  R CMD ldd /usr/lib64/R/library/rjags/libs/rjags.so

no failures at any point.

Suggestions? Pointers to the obvious?

Thanks very much in advance.