[R] SWEAVE - a gentle introduction

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:56:22 CET 2015

When choosing source format, it's probably helpful to know that if you
work with a Markdown-based format (e.g. Rmarkdown) you'll be able to
generate either/both HTML or/and PDF documents, whereas if you work
with LaTeX-based formats (e.g. Sweave/knitr) you will only be able
output PDF documents (at least without great efforts).

One major advantage with HTML documents/reports is that they aren't
constrained by page breaks, e.g. you don't have to worry about
generating long tables that run across two or more pages. With LaTeX
that is often a great pain.  These days even mathematical equations
renders quite well in HTML.  I tend to use HTML output for everyday
analysis reports and PDF occasionally for more final artifacts such as
supplementary notes where I want to have full control of layout,
equations, figure sizes and bibliographies.

If you plan to write package vignettes using one of the above formats,
choice of vignette format does not matter these days.  They're all
equally easy to use and incorporate in packages.

Cheers,

Henrik